If there is something more satisfying in this world then a big stodgy, cheesy bowl of pasta, then please, enlighten me now. My tummy grumbles at the thought of creamy mushroom ravioli or heavily laden plate of cheese and tomato pasta bake. HOWEVER, we must remember that (white) pasta is not our friend.
White pasta is predominantly made from refined white flour which contains almost no dietary nutrition. It is particularly high in GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates which releases sugars into the bloodstream at a very rapid speed. This in turn causes your blood sugars to rise which triggers a rise in insulin that works to bring your sugar levels back down to a normal level (clever I know). But here is the part that really hurts…the body deals with the rise in blood sugars by storing the pasta as fat. Pasta is spiteful. It provides so much satisfaction and then moves on to heartlessly inhibiting those fat cells around your stomach (the reason many people have discovered that pasta “bloats” them).
So the other day I was having one of those sitting on the couch watching movies all day kind of days and naturally all I could think of was pasta. Although I’m not entirely gluten free after largely cutting it out of my diet I genuinely feel the size of a three-story house after eating pasta. This was not an option as I had to squeeze into my skins for work that evening ( I work in a sportswear store).
So cutting a pretty damn short story shorter, I then came up with this delicious recipe for the perfect pasta craving cure. I am not claiming that this recipe out does an actual bowl of pasta but I think anything that leads you to repeatedly question if what your eating is actually healthy because its so delicious, is a success. Zucchinis are super cheap at the moment, I did a quick calculation and I came to the conclusion that a bowl of zucchini noodles works out about 0.5% more expensive than a bowl of pasta…a very small sacrifice to make for a significant on your diet.
Prep: 10 minutes + cooking: 15 minutes
You will need
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tsps chili flakes
- 2 Tbps olive oil
- A handful of rocket
- 6 Pork Chipolatas
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked pepper
- Goats cheese (desired amount)
- Peel off the green skin of the zucchinis with a potato peeler (its fairly bitter and looks less noodle-ish) Now keep peeling off strips until you reach the seeds then STOP
- If you have a griddle (if not use a non-stick frying pan) place it over a medium heat and lay on the tomatoes (cut in half), the zuchinni “insides” (NOT THE NOODLES), the chipolatas and garlic clove
- Once the tomatoes are almost cooked add the walnuts for 1-2 minutes
- Using a blender or a food processor combine the avocado, olive oil, garlic clove, zuchinni insides, tomatoes, salt and pepper and chili flakes
- Place the zucchini noodles in a steamer for no more than 1 minute, they cook VERY quickly
- Chop up the chipolatas and combine with the sauce
- Pour the sauce over the noodles, toss with the walnuts, goats cheese and rocket
Keep Thriving! ♥ Anya